Practical Information

Grandparent & Family

What information should I have on hand when calling to enroll in a Grandparent or Family Program?

1. Child’s Date of Birth

2. Child’s Address (where we can mail their Information Packet)

3. If traveling internationally: Child’s legal name as it appears on their passport

4. Any special needs or food allergies we need to be aware of

5. Number of people attending in your group and how many rooms you are looking for (see below)


If I’m attending with my spouse and a grandchild or with multiple family members — what are the rooming configuration options?

Our Grandparent and Family Programs offer different room configurations, depending on the program. Some lodging will comfortably accommodate the grandparent and grandchild, and others can accommodate two adults and a grandchild. In some cases, where the room cannot accommodate three, one adult will need to enroll in a single room. In all situations, an adult must room with the minor child. We will ask you about room configurations upon enrolling in a program, so please take some time to consider this before you call to enroll.

Room option examples:

  • 2 Adults/2 Children (4 in one room)
  • 1 Adult/2 Children (3 in one room)
  • 1 Adult/1 Child (2 in one room)
  • 2 Adults/1 Child (3 in a room)


Can a child be in a hotel room by themselves?

No. The safety of the child is our priority. Any minors participating in a Road Scholar program must share a room with an accompanying adult.


If I do not take part in an activity will my grandchild still be able to do it?

We strongly recommend you select a program where you can take part in all the activities so you can make the most of your time with your grandchild. However, in some cases, adults may sit out of an activity. If you are unsure that you’ll be able to take part in an activity on a Grandparent Program, please email or call us toll-free at 1-877-426-8056, M-F, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00p.m. (ET), and we will be happy to advise.


What materials will I receive after we enroll in a Grandparent or Family Program?

1. Enrollment Letter
After you enroll in a Grandparent or Family Program, you will receive an Enrollment Letter by email or mail, depending on your mail preferences. This letter will include basic information about your order, such as the names of those enrolled, your rooming selection and payment information.

2. Parental Consent Form
Next, we’ll send you the Parental Consent Form. Two copies of the signed Parental Consent form are required for all children under the age of 18 participating in Road Scholar programs. Detailed instructions on completing and returning the form will be enclosed with the form, but below are some FAQs that may help answer any other questions you might have.

3. Information Packet(s)
An Information Packet that includes an up-to-date daily schedule, contact information, a packing list and a reading list — everything you’ll need to prepare — will be sent before the program begins. If you provide us with the grandchild’s mailing address when enrolling, the child will receive an information packet, too!

4. If you enroll in an International program, you’ll receive a Final Information Packet with more details.


Parental Consent Form FAQs

Q: Can’t I just bring the completed Parental Consent Form with me to the program?

A: No. A signed parental consent form must be returned to the Program Provider prior to the deadline noted on the top of the form. If the form is not returned prior to the deadline, the child will not be permitted to attend the program.

Q: We are attending a Family Program. Does a Parental Consent Form need to be completed if both parents/guardians are attending a Family program with their child?

A: No; a Parental Consent Form is not required if both parents/guardians are attending the program with their child.

Q: Does a Parental Consent Form need to be completed if only one parent/guardian is attending a Family program with their child?

A: Yes. Unless the child will be accompanied by both parents/guardians, a consent form signed by both parents/guardians is required.

Q: Do I need to get the Parental Consent Forms notarized?

A: Only grandchildren traveling outside of the country without his or her parents/guardians require a notarized Parental Consent Form. Consent forms do not need to be notarized if the child will not be traveling internationally. You can get the form notarized at most banks, post offices, FedEx or UPS stores. See following the question for more information about notarization.

Q: Why are notarized Parental Consent Forms necessary when traveling internationally?

A: The purpose for having the forms notarized is to avoid problems entering or exiting a country, and to help prevent any child custody questions or issues. Some countries, in addition to identification for the child (usually the passport), may require a consent form with parents' notarized signatures to be presented. For children traveling abroad, the US Customs and Border Protection Agency recommends that parental consent forms be notarized.

Q: I have additional questions about the Parental Consent Form. Who can I call for assistance?

A: Please do not hesitate to call us toll-free at 1-877-426-8056, M-F, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00p.m. (ET).

Q. Can Parental Consent Forms be submitted electronically?

A: Yes, consent forms can be accepted electronically. Either scan and email or take a photo and email the completed and signed consent form to the Program Provider. You will receive contact information for your Program Provider when you receive the Parental Consent Form.


Do you have any tips for traveling with grandkids?
Yes! Check out our Grandparent Travel Guide. It includes tips, book recommendations, blogs and more!

Click here to provide website feedback
Website Feedback