Highlights of Mount Rushmore National Memorial Tours
The 60-foot granite faces of Presidents Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, and Roosevelt overlook the Black Hills region of South Dakota. This architectural feat was made possible under the direction of Gutzon Borglum, and signifies a symbol of hope and freedom.
If you’re eager to experience one of our country’s most outstanding landmarks, check out these highlights of our Mount Rushmore National Memorial tours:
- Hiking: Hike through the Black Hills along the Presidential Trail, where you’ll come across several vantage points of Mount Rushmore.
- Sculptor’s Studio: Here, you can witness where Gutzon Borglum worked while designing Mount Rushmore during the summers of 1939 to 1941. Inside, you’ll find a 1/12th scale model of Mount Rushmore and learn about the tools and techniques that made this project possible.
- Badlands National Park: To get the most out of your time in South Dakota, some of our National Park vacations in Mount Rushmore will bring you to Badlands National Park, where you can take in geologic features like sawtooth ridges, towering spires, and deep gorges.
- Black Hills National Forest: In Black Hills National Forest, you’ll be able to partake in outdoor adventures, like hiking, mountain biking, and spotting wildlife.
- Crazy Horse Memorial: Another one of Gutzon Borglum’s masterpieces lies five miles north of Custer State Park, which is his Crazy Horse Memorial. This mountain memorial is still under construction today and depicts the Oglala Lakota warrior.
These are some of the many highlights of our National Park trips to Mount Rushmore. Browse our collection today to find an experiential learning program that interests you.
Tips for Visiting Mount Rushmore National Memorial
National Parks offer visitors a glimpse into the past, thanks to its untouched landscapes. However, it’s important to know how to prepare to explore Mount Rushmore National Memorial to keep this area and its wildlife protected. Some of our top National Park travel tips include:
- Pack plenty of food and water to keep your body hydrated and fueled
- Speak with park rangers to learn more about the park, its rules, and hidden gems
- Respect wildlife by observing at a safe distance
- Stick to designated paths and trails
Book Your Mount Rushmore National Memorial Trip with Road Scholar
At Road Scholar, we offer some of the best Mount Rushmore National Memorial vacations. Each of our Mount Rushmore National Memorial tours is led by a local expert who will teach you about the unique landscapes, geology, wildlife, and history of the park. You’ll also join a diverse cohort of lifelong learners, allowing you to experience the park with like-minded people and forge lasting relationships.
From group National Park tours to easy-paced National Park adventures, we have experiential learning adventures for everyone.