Whitewater Rafting on Idaho's Salmon River With Your Grandchild
Program No. 4954RJ
Float off on a whitewater rafting adventure with your grandchild on the Salmon and Snake Rivers as you learn about paddling, petroglyphs and pioneer history and go camping on the beach!
5B 5L 5D
View Full Itinerary
Journey to the River / Program Orientation
First Full Day on the Spectacular Salmon River
Historic Sites and Outstanding Scenery
River Journey Continues
Rafting the Salmon River & Snake River
Rafting the Snake River/Return to Lewiston
At a Glance
Splash and slide, float and glide on Idaho’s Salmon and Snake Rivers on this whitewater rafting adventure through the second-deepest canyon in North America! You and your grandchild will get some instruction from expert rafters on paddling techniques and water dynamics before you set off together on Class 3 whitewater rapids. Learn about local lore, history and culture along the way, camp along the riverside and swim in the Salmon River’s clear, warm water.
Walking along hilly slopes, paddling 3-5 hours per day, optional hikes. Participants should be able to pitch their own tents and be prepared to move camps in cool and hot weather. Prior whitewater rafting, wilderness camping experience is not required. Oar rafts, paddle rafts and inflatable kayaks available. Be prepared for sunny, hot weather.
Love to learn and explore in a small-group setting? These adventures offer small, personal experiences with groups of 13 to 24 participants.
What You'll Learn
- Experience 3-4 hours of river rafting each day, then arrive at camp in the afternoon to swim, fish, play Frisbee, explore and more while your group leaders prepare dinner.
- While rafting, stop to explore historic sites such as Native American rock art, pioneer homesteads and Chinese rock houses that dot the historic river canyon.
- Ride a jet boat down the Snake River through America's deepest river gorge, Hells Canyon.
Program is for grandchildren ages 13-17. Due to the nature of this program, listening devices are not available.
Recommended For You
- QuébecChoose Your Pace: Hiking and Walking Classics in Québec & Vermont
- Galápagos Islands, EcuadorNature’s Laboratory: Wild Finds in the Galápagos With Your Family
- SpainThe Sea to Dalí: Hiking Catalonia & Spain’s Magical ‘Wild Coast’
- Galápagos Islands, EcuadorSurvival of the Fittest: Hiking, Biking & Water Sports on the Galápagos Islands
- FranceAventure en Famille à Paris: The City of Light With Your Family