Winter Trips in Southern Europe
Looking for a unique destination for your winter holiday? Browse Road Scholar’s diverse selection of winter trips in southern Europe. Vacationing and discovering the Mediterranean in winter is a great way to enjoy comfortable weather with fewer crowds. Winter travel in Europe allows you to immerse yourself in the relaxed-paced life of locals and learn about the vibrant history many of these coastal towns have to offer.
Ready to bid adieu to your winter jacket? Explore our winter tours in Europe below to find a learning adventure that matches your interests.
Warm Winter Destinations in Europe
If you’re ready to ditch the cold for a comfortable winter getaway, you’re in the right place. At Road Scholar, we have a great collection of experiential learning programs that bring you to a variety of warm winter destinations in Europe. Some of the top programs you can choose from include:
- Madeira, Portugal: Madeira is one of the best winter trips in Europe. Known as the island of eternal springtime, you can relax in black lava pools formed by volcanoes, discover exotic plants, and indulge in sweet island treats.
- Crete, Greece: As the largest island in Greece, Crete is a premier winter destination in Europe. Through our winter programs to Crete, you can walk through the lush forests of the west and learn about the history of the Minoans, Romans, and Ottomans who helped form Cretan culture. With reduced foot traffic and a mild climate, Crete is a top-tier winter trip in Southern Europe.
- Amalfi Coast, Italy: Italy’s Amalfi Coast is known for its steep ocean cliffs and picturesque seaside towns with colorful homes and relaxing beaches. In the winter, the Amalfi Coast is less crowded, giving you comfortable room to explore the history, art, and customs of the ancient Romans. You can even take a refreshing dip in the turquoise waters of the Tyrrhenian Sea, followed by lunch or dinner with local Italian cuisine.
- Estepona, Spain: At the southern tip of Spain, you’ll find Estepona, which is the perfect getaway for snowbirds looking for warmth. Here, you can learn about Moorish architecture, taste traditional Andalusian cuisine, and explore the Rock of Gibraltar. Estepona is also a great destination to take day trips to seaside communities to learn about ancient invaders and inspiring poets.
- French Riviera: The French Riviera has been a winter escape for many. With seaside towns like Nice, Villefranche-Sur-Mer, Antibes, and Cannes, this is the perfect destination for winter travel in Europe. Along the French Riviera, you can learn about the famous artists who call this place home and explore local museums and churches.
These are some of the best warm winter destinations in Europe you can choose from. If you’re looking for a slow-paced and relaxing winter getaway, search our collection today.
Explore Winter Trips in Europe with Road Scholar
At Road Scholar, our winter tours in Europe are second to none. From the seaside villages along the Mediterranean to the diverse cultures of countries like France, Spain, and Portugal, we make escaping the cold easy with our winter trips in Southern Europe. As you get ready for your next adventure, read through our European travel tips to ensure your winter getaway goes smoothly.