European River Cruises
At Road Scholar, you can embark on one of our educational European river cruises that bring you along some of the world’s most famous waterways to experience the treasures of Europe. Along the way, you can view ornate palaces, historic castles, quaint villages, and medieval houses dating centuries.
If you’re ready for a river cruise in Europe, you’re in the right place. Road Scholar blends excitement with education, allowing you to learn from expert instructors and immerse yourself in local cities and towns to gain a deeper understanding of the world. Explore our collection of cruises on European rivers, such as France’s Seine River or Portugal’s Douro River, below.
What You Can Experience With River Tours of Europe
Road Scholar has an expansive selection of educational river cruises that you can choose from, including river tours of Europe. Through one of our educational voyages, you can explore both eastern Europe and western Europe by boat at a new vantage point.
Our river cruises in Europe can bring you down the Seine River from Normandy to Paris, through the rivers of Holland to view its jaw-dropping tulip fields, and down the Danube River through Germany, the Czech Republic, Austria, and Hungary.
So, what can you expect on a European river cruise with Road Scholar? Find out below:
- Unique itinerary: At Road Scholar, you can enjoy a unique itinerary that takes you off the beaten path to give you an immersive experience on any adventure. Through our river cruises, you’ll have time for guided tours and self-exploration to explore on your own time.
- Expert instruction: Our local experts will guide you along your river tour of Europe and highlight the history, landscapes, and people along the way, such as the wineries gracing the banks of the Douro River in Portugal or the battlefields of D-Day in Normandy on the Seine.
- Friendship: No matter the educational learning adventure you choose, you’ll leave with lifelong friends and lasting memories. In each program, you’ll join a cohort of like-minded scholars, where you can have spirited conversations and discover the world together.
- Discovery: We have a library of cruises on European rivers that can meet the needs of any explorer. Whether you’re interested in learning about the history of the major World Wars or learn about the landscapes that inspired some of the world’s most famous artists, we have river cruises for everyone.
River cruises in Europe provide a unique opportunity to learn more about the world around you. By traveling along some of the most famous waterways in Europe, you can get a better understanding of local cultures through cuisine, conversation, and museums. Explore Europe by boat today with Road Scholar, where you’ll make lasting friendships and form new knowledge in a one-of-a-kind format.
River Boat Cruise in Europe
Does a European river cruise sound right for you? There are many reasons to explore European waterways, from following a unique itinerary to making lifelong friends. But where can river tours of Europe take you? You can discover new areas, including the French Riviera and the wine country of Portugal all by boat on one of our river cruises in Europe. Below are some of the top destinations you can discover in Europe on one of our river boat tours:
- Douro River, Portugal: The Douro River cuts right through Portugal’s wine-growing region. On a river cruise along the Douro, you can explore quaint villages and lively cities to get a taste of local culture. You can learn the history of medieval towns, study Baroque architecture, and go wine-tasting. By exploring areas of Portugal most tourists seldom see, you can get a richer understanding of Portuguese culture.
- The Seine River, France: One of the world’s most famous rivers is the Seine, which flows right through Paris and into the English Channel. Famous artists have used the Seine as a focal point in iconic pieces, including Renoir's Seine River at Asnieres and Monet’s Bathers at La Grenouillere.
On a river cruise in Europe along the Seine, you can view the City of Lights from a unique vantage point, learn about the history of D-Day on Normandy’s beaches, and learn more about medieval history.
- Danube River: A river boat cruise in Europe down the Danube River can bring you through several countries in the central region. On this route, you can explore areas like the Czech Republic, Germany, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary to better understand their cultures, history, and politics. You can also view picturesque landscapes and quaint villages while learning from a local expert.
- The Rhône, France: Discover the French Riviera by boat on a river cruise down the Rhône. As one of France’s major rivers, you can see why famous artists like Van Gogh, Renoir, Picasso, Monet, and Chagall used this feature in many of their paintings.
On a European river cruise in the French Riviera, you’ll learn about artists inspired by the South of France and learn about local history in towns like Nice, Aix-en-Provence, and Arles.
These are just some of the many areas you can find yourself when voyaging on a river boat cruise in Europe. At Road Scholar, you can browse our riverboat collection to find river trips in Europe and around the world for a unique learning experience. Before you set sail make sure to review our riverboat travel guide to view important travel tips, such as what to pack and how to plan.
River Cruises in Europe With Road Scholar
Ready for an experience of a lifetime? Hop aboard one of our vessels for one of our European river cruises. Perfect for solo travelers, grandparents, children, and adults, you can create lasting memories while exploring Europe from a new point of view.
Whether you’re interested in western Europe river cruises, central Europe river cruises, or eastern Europe river cruises, Road Scholar has you covered. Through Road Scholar, you’ll join a diverse cohort of lifelong learners eager to get a better sense of the cultures, history, and landscapes of the world. Following a Road Scholar guide with an in-depth, destination-specific itinerary, you’ll be able to discover some of the secret gems Europe has to offer by boat.