|After breakfast, we'll learn more about the Wild West and more about the Native Americans (up until about 1500 BC). We'll then depart for Mission San Xavier del Bac.|
The celebrated Jesuit missionary and explorer, Faather Eusebio Francisco Kino, first visited 'Bac' in 1692. Eight years later in 1700, Father Kino laid the foundations of the first church, some two miles north of the present Mission site. he named it San Xavier in honor of his chosen patron, St. Francis Xavier, the illustrious Jesuit "Apostle of the Indies."
In 1768, Fray Francisco hermengildo Garces, a man of outstanding personality and prodigious accomplishments among all missionaries in Arizona, established his headquarters at San Xavier. From here, this Franciscan Friar set forth on his many missionary explorations.
Also known as the "White Dove of the Desert," it is still used by the Tohono O'odham Indians as a spiritual center.
We then depart for the Tucson Museum of Art.