|EXCURSION: Docent-led visit of the Tiburon Railroad & Ferry Depot Museum|
In 1884, Peter Donahue completed the extension of the San Francisco and North Pacific Railroad to Point Tiburon transforming it into a major railroad & ferry terminus and maintenance yard. After the last train ran in 1967, the shoreline and the depot building were deeded to the Town of Tiburon for use as open space and a museum. On the ground floor is a railroad & ferry museum featuring a working scale model of the Point Tiburon yard circa 1900-1910. Upstairs is the restored stationmaster’s residence, 1913-1940. The Depot is the only surviving dual use terminal west of the Hudson River and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Docent-led visit of the China Cabin
The China Cabin is the Social Saloon from the S.S. China, a side-wheeled steamer built in 1866 by the William H. Webb shipyard in New York. Commissioned by the Pacific Mail Steamship Company, the China carried mail and passengers from its home port of San Francisco to Asia. The elegant room was salvaged when the ship became obsolete in 1879 and was burned for scrap metal in Tiburon Cove. The Landmarks Society has restored the interior with 22k gold leaf, walnut woodwork, cut-glass floral window panes, and brass chandeliers. The China Cabin was designated a National Maritime Monument in 1978. (Courtesy of the Belvedere-Tiburon Landmarks Society)