CHECK-IN: Begins at 4:00pm in the main office of the Retreat Center.
EXCURSION: Those who would enjoy a walking excursion before the evening meal may gather in the lobby at 5:15pm.Dinner: Dinner is in the Dining Hall at 6:00pm. Meals are buffet style with a variety of dietary needs in mind. Our staff seeks to create tasty, home style meals that are good for you, too.Evening: ORIENTATION: Begins at 7:00pm in the lower level of the Dining Hall. We will review the schedule for the week as well as the facilities and resources that are available during your free time. Emergency procedures and general questions will be covered, along with ample time for introductions of participants for this program and meeting your hosts and resource team.Lodging: Amigo Centre & RetreatMeals Included: Dinner
• Learn quilting basics including how to set up a sewing machine for piecing and accurate seams.
• Discuss the care and handling quilting tools, and safety in our classroom, especially with regard to rotary cutters and blades, pins, needles and scissors.
• Learn the proper methods and tips for accurate cutting with a rotary cutter.
• Review the quilt pattern we will use for our project to gain an overall understanding of the process.
CLASS 2: Fabric colors and prints.
• Discuss your fabric choices for this project and share your preferences in color and style.
• Learn the importance of mixing prints, colors, shades and values in fabric.
• Use the color wheel to determine a color style and range for your sampler quilt.Lunch: Lunch is in the Dining Hall at 12:00pm. Enjoy delicious meals complete with salad bar and dessert.Afternoon: FIELD TRIP: We will depart from Amigo Centre for Shipshewana, Indiana, after lunch. During the field trip, we will visit an antique quilt shop and two local fabric stores where your instructor will be happy to help you pick out any additional fabric you may wish to purchase for your project to help tell your story.Dinner: At 5:00pm, we will enjoy a "Thrasher's Meal" at a local Amish home. This delectable repast recalls the experience of Amish thrashers who worked together each year at harvest time followed by a delicious meal. We'll bring our pie back with us to Amigo - to enjoy a little later in the evening!Evening: Return to Amigo Centre and enjoy a relaxing evening making new friends or work on your project.Lodging: Amigo Centre & RetreatMeals Included: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
After lunch, you'll have an opportunity for an informal nature walk along some of our many trails where you can enjoy the peace and beauty of the woods and lakeside. You might even see a deer!Afternoon: Class instruction and work on projectDinner: Dinner is in the Dining Hall at 5:00pm. Get ready for some of our delicious desserts sure to tickle your palate Grasshopper Pie or Brownie Cheesecake, to name a few!Evening: CAMPFIRE & PONTOON RIDES: Beginning around 6:00pm, we will have a campfire with pontoon rides by the boat house near the Retreat Center. You may enjoy a leisurely ride on Perrin Lake, and/or gather around the campfire, singing songs, roasting marshmallows, and making S'mores. (Everybody wants s'more!) We will alternate groups on the pontoon to allow everyone to participate.Lodging: Amigo Centre & RetreatMeals Included: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
You will have time to pack up and check out of your room prior to lunch.Lunch: The program concludes with lunch in the Dining Hall at 11:30am.
We trust you have enjoyed this new learning adventure and will return for other rewarding Road Scholar programs in the future.Happy Trails to you until we meet again!Lodging: Amigo Centre & RetreatMeals Included: Breakfast, Lunch