Staff Accountant - Regulatory and Receipts
Love learning and travel? Come work for Road Scholar. We’re the not-for-profit leader in educational travel for adults.
Full-time, non-exempt position
• We’re a not-for-profit organization with a mission to inspire adults to learn, discover and travel
• Founded in 1975, we are headquartered in Boston and have offices throughout the United States and in the United Kingdom
• Every year, 100,000 adults learn about the world with us on 5,500 educational adventures in all 50 states and 150 countries
• We’re a great place to work. We offer excellent benefits and employees get to participate in our educational adventures.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Complete tax and informational returns. Assist with general accounting and month–end close. Support the cash receipt function: process, deposit and reconcile customer and donor receipts, and process customer refunds.
- Complete tax and informational returns and other business or regulatory filings.
- Create and post journal entries and reconcile general ledger accounts.
- Assist in closing the month and reporting or analyzing results.
- Monitor leases, bill tenants for rent increases and miscellaneous charges, and ensure timely collection.
- Review external processors’ invoices for accuracy prior to payment.
- Enter credit card processing fees, declined payments and chargebacks into financial system. Work with Call Center advisors to resolve customer chargeback conflicts.
- Prepare invoices and deposit receipts for private group programs.
- Apply checks to appropriate accounts in financial system and deliver deposit to bank.
- Serve as the back up to the Accounting Associate for the cash receipt function:
- Validate and electronically post daily electronic receipt files from lockbox processor. Research correspondence and promptly resolve unprocessed items.
- Validate credit card and paperless check receipts and refunds, create electronic files and transmit to credit card processor. Validate returned file and post to customer accounts.
- Initiate financial system processes to generate customer refunds.
- Initiate financial system processes to generate customer invoices and past due statements.
- Assist the Call Center in researching and resolving customer inquiries into unusual transactions or payment issues.
- Other Responsibilities
- Keep written procedures current for all areas of responsibility.
- Assist with archiving financial records.
- Other duties and/or special projects as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATON, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Excellent PC experience, particularly with Microsoft Office applications
- Interest in and aptitude for working with complex systems and processes
- Highly organized and self-motivated with high standards for customer service, accuracy and efficiency
- Able to handle assignments independently and concurrently
- Strong written and oral communication skills; neat handwriting
- Strong team contributor; ability and willingness to work hard to achieve department objectives
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Standard office setting. Will spend an extended period of time sitting and using a computer. May also spend extended time on the telephone or operating other office machines requiring eye-hand coordination and finger dexterity.
- Requires computer literacy of Microsoft Office products, Internet Explorer and other software applications.
- The above is intended to describe the general content and requirements of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be an exhaustive statement of all duties, responsibilities or skills required of personnel so classified.
Qualified applicants – please email cover letter with salary expectations (a must for consideration, a range is fine) and resume to email@example.com. Road Scholar is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Program Provider.
Printer Friendly Page
Back to list of jobs